(BVM&S, MSc., BSc., Cert. SAPT)
I went to the University of Guelph, where I found my passion for animal nutrition and behaviour. I received my master's degree in science in animal welfare and behaviour.
I've always had a great passion for training which started in high school when I worked with neglected horses to re-train and re-home these wonderful individuals.
My passion for dog and cat training was born and later grew to a passion for separation anxiety training in dogs as well! I am now a certified separation anxiety training expert.
The basics of dog and cat obedience remained at the forefront of interest in preparing my Old English Sheepdog for the UK "good Samaritan" dog examinations and obedience trials. However, Winston quickly showed a strong love for trick training. This is an area my previous cat had excelled! Thus, my love of trick training was born!
I had received much training and interest in cat behaviour in my master's degree. I pursued this area as well. Cat training is very important in helping clients gain back a peaceful home life from fighting cats, scratching, and inappropriate urination.
In 2016 I returned to Canada and opened Shaggy Dog Pet Services. I started providing dog walking, pet sitting and training services to the Kingston, Ontario, area.
I saw my first online separation anxiety clients in 2017 and my online training and in-person training has continued to grow and evolve since that time.
New services are always being added. Check out the Facebook page to keep up to date with all the new services and information. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me or head over to the services section to book your free 15-minute call/video chat today!
I am a reinforcement-based trainer (R+). I provide force-free and fear-free training methods.
My goal is always to grow a strong and positive relationship between a client and their pets. One built on mutual trust and love. Fear and force have no place in a trainer's methods. Training in Canada is unregulated, and it's very important to know:
(1) The trainer's method: No force should ever be used- chokes, prongs, or electric/spray collars have no place in training today. My methods employ positive reinforcement, classical conditioning and other force-free science-based techniques.
(2) Where they received their education: It's essential to know some type of science-based learning was received. Mine comes from the University of Guelph, University of Edinburgh and courses.
(3) How much hands-on experience the trainer has: I have over 15 years of experience.
(4) How often and how much continuing education they do per year: I do several hours per year of continuing education in behaviour learning.
(5) What kind of a trainer/behaviourist are they? Are they working towards certification? Do they have higher degrees? Are they a certified trainer? I have a master's in animal welfare and behaviour from the University of Guelph.
At Shaggy Dog Pet Services, every pet is a family member first! The mission is to ensure the best welfare possible for your pets by fulfilling training needs and bringing you easier access to well-trained, knowledgeable, experienced professionals.
Your pet is family and deserves the very best in all areas of their life, which Shaggy Dog can help provide!